DOCKYARD PORT OF PORTSMOUTH DORMANT EXCLUSION ZONE FOR UNDERWAY
- The Queen's Harbour Master Portsmouth hereby gives notice of the following
Direction hereby made under schedule 2 paragraph 5 to the Dockyard Port
of Portsmouth Order 2005 (the 2005 Order) for the proper protection
of HMs vessels and property, namely, the protection and security of
warships underway within the Dockyard Port of Portsmouth (DPP) by the imposition
of an exclusion zone of up to 250m radius around such warships.
- This Direction is also made pursuant to the general duty to protect the
port conferred on the Queens Harbour Master by section 4 of the Dockyard
Ports Regulation Act 1865.
- The exclusion zone will be activated by direction from QHM over VHF Channel
11 or 13 and indicated in the movements signal, if time permits. The
warship for whom the zone is being activated will display two diamond shapes
vertically disposed where best seen by day and show two flashing red lights
at the masthead horizontally disposed by night. All escorting vessels will
show a blue flashing light by day and by night. Escort personnel will be armed.
The exclusion zone shall have a 250m radius around the vessel, or to the limits
of navigable water, whichever is closer.
When the zone is activated all vessels underway, except those involved
in the escort or specifically authorised by the escort commander, are to
remain clear of the exclusion zone.
- Vessels which enter the exclusion zone will, after being warned by at least
two of the following methods; radio, flashing light, and voice, be deemed
to have the intention of committing a hostile act against the warship being
- During the harbour entry or exit phase, all small craft traffic is to cease
through the harbour entrance.
- Southampton VTS, on behalf of QHM, is to direct traffic within the DPP to
remain 250m clear of the escorted vessel. Where this is not possible for navigational
reasons commercial traffic is to be held until the warship is clear.
- The exclusion zone will cease either on the escorted vessel leaving the
boundary of the Dockyard Port of Portsmouth or when broadcast by QHM on VHF
Channel 11 or 13 and where practicable by the movements signal. When the exclusion
zone is no longer in force the signals in paragraph 3 will no longer be displayed.
- Contravention of this Direction is an offence as provided for in paragraph
6 of the 2005 Order.