DOCKYARD PORT OF PORTSMOUTH - SPEED LIMITS
- The Queens Harbour Master Portsmouth hereby gives notice of the
following Direction hereby made that in accordance with the Dockyard Port
of Portsmouth Order 2005 schedule 2 paragraph 8 (1) (2), the following speed
- Within Portsmouth Harbour - 10 knots.
- Within 0.5 nautical miles of the line of mean low-water springs in any
part of the Dockyard Port of Portsmouth outside the Harbour - 10 knots.
- The speed limit in each case is to be taken as "speed through the water".
- Safe Speed. Mariners are also reminded of the importance in proceeding at
a safe speed at all times as defined in Rule
6 of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS).
In particular in the approaches to and inside Portsmouth Harbour, when determining
a safe speed, special consideration must be given to small boats. These small
vessels could have combined lanterns which may be difficult to pick out against
the background lighting, and they may not be detected by vessels with radar
at adequate range.
- Exemptions. The above speed limits do not apply within designated Water-Skiing
and Personal Water Craft (Jet Ski) Areas (see GD
07/13). Fast Military Craft (see LNTM
07/14) will also be exempt on specific occasions for operational training
reasons. Any person who has a requirement to exceed the above speed limits
for specific reasons should apply to the Queens Harbour Master for a