The following categories of vessel are subject to compulsory pilotage:
A vessel of 48 metres or more in overall length.
A vessel of 20 metres or more in overall length carrying more than 12 passengers. The expression "passenger" means any person carried in a ship (whether or not for a fare) except:
- a person employed or engaged in any capacity on board the ship on the business of the ship.
children under one year of age.
NOTE:- With regard
to Tall Ships and other sailing vessels, the overall length is the total
physical length of the vessel including the bowsprit if deployed.
The following categories of vessels are exempted from compulsory pilotage by Portsmouth CHA.
- A vessel in transit through the Solent on passage to or from any position West of the line from Gilkicker Point Light to Ryde Pier provided such vessel does not proceed
North of a line from Gilkicker Point
to Horse Sand Fort Light
to Cambrian Wreck Buoy.
- A vessel in Government service except when berthing or unberthing at any non-Ministry of Defence facility.
- A vessel with an admiralty pilot embarked while proceeding to or from any
Ministry of Defence facility. Such a vessel proceeding between a Ministry
of Defence facility and a Commercial facility is not exempt
compulsory pilotage for the berthing or unberthing operation at the commercial
- A vessel of less than 150 metres L.O.A. proceeding to or from any position West of the line Gilkicker Point Light to Ryde Pier and/or going to an anchorage in St Helens Roads.
- A vessel of an overall length of not greater than 150 metres while to the South East of the line from
Nettlestone Pt (Latitude 50 43.27'N, Longitude 1 06.48'W)
to the Warner Buoy,
thence to a North Easterly direction to Cambrian Wreck
thence due North to the Shoreline.